Although relatively new the Junction City Hotel has some history involved with it and images are hanging on the walls of the previous pub the Corinationation Hotel, situated on the corner of Alma and Waterloo Streets where the Swimming Pool is today. However it is known that Houlahan's Railway Hotel existed as far back as 1904, as a notice in the Namoi Valley Echo of 13th February, 1904, announced to residents that the Doctor visiting from Wee Waa could be consuled at Houlahan's Hotel.
According to records from said newspaper a license was granted to J C Dempsey for the Burren Junction Hotel which in turn was granted to Herbert William Sheehan who was the licensee in 1910. This dwelling was a single storey on the eastern end of Slack-Smith Street and Houlahan Street facing the railway. This eventually burned down. Prior to 1920 Houlahan's built another two story hotel on the opposite corner facing the railway, this was known as the Commercial Hotel and was operated by Mr and Mrs George Smith, the daughter and son-in-law of William Houlahan.
It was burnt down in 1922, the hotel cellar is still there today in the back yard.There were only ever two licenses operating in Burren Juncion, and the other Hotel was the Coronation Hotel which owes its name to thee Coronation of King George V. It was constructed in 1911 for Michael Mulckey and Phillip Mohr was the licensee. The hotel was exchanged by Michael Mulckey for G Holland's property Neotsfield about 1916. Harry Holland ran the Hotel for Joshua Holland for about twelve months by 1920 it was under the management of William Goward and in 1930 the licensee was T M Barrett. Tom Barrett married Nellie Duncan (Jack Duncan's daughter) and purchased the hotel.
During the mid to late 1930's to 1940's, the hotel was operated by Oliver Hall and during the 1950's to 1960's the Radford family conducted the business under the management of Warwick Radford. From 1970 to 1987 Bob and Sandra Barrett owned and operated the Coronation Hotel, selling the business to Robin Findley in 1987. The new Junction City Hotel was built and opened in 1991 and is not far from the original Commercial Hotel it now has16 cabins that are available for overnight or long stay accommodation. A far cry from the original pubs established in Burren in the early 1900's.
Information was collected from "Vision of the Plains"a history of Burren Junction and district / Judy Field
Well known for it’s good food and great atmosphere, The Junction City Hotel is the entrance to the town. Why not drop in and have a beer? You are welcome to come in and have a great meal at our Bistro for Lunch and Dinner 7 days a week. Why not come down to the Junction City Hotel for a family night out and enjoy our hospitality in great company?